While this advisory does not prohibit ARTA members from travelling, it does impact their travel coverage. If you are currently travelling outside of Canada and are covered under the ARTA Emergency Travel plan, please note:
- Coverage for emergency medical treatment related to COVID-19 will cease on December 25, 2021, ten days after the advisory was first issued. All other medical treatment, unrelated to COVID-19 will continue to be payable subject to the terms and conditions of your policy.
- If you are continuing your travels beyond December 25, 2021, you have until this date to purchase a stand-alone COVID-19 Insurance and Assistance Plan, which includes benefits for emergency medical and quarantine expenses if you test positive for COVID-19 during your trip.
For more information, or to purchase the COVID-19 Insurance and Assistance Plan, please call Allianz Global Assistance at 1-800-984-0429. Allianz is experiencing a large spike in call volumes, so members wishing to contact Allianz should prepare for long wait times. Please refrain from contacting ARTA regarding this coverage option, as only Allianz is able to assist in these purchases.
If you have booked a trip and have not yet departed:
- COVID-19 remains a known event for Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption. Therefore, any Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption claims related to Government of Canada travel advisories connected to COVID-19 will continue to not be payable. There are two exceptions:
- Trip Cancellation coverage will remain eligible if a member with Trip Cancellation benefits becomes ill due to COVID-19 in Canada before their departure from their province or territory of residence and needs to cancel their trip as a result.
- Trip Interruption coverage is eligible if a member with Trip Interruption benefits becomes ill due to COVID-19 while on their trip, and needs to interrupt their trip, as a result, provided a COVID-19 travel advisory to avoid non-essential (Level 3) or avoid all travel (Level 4) was not in place on the effective date of their coverage.
- If you need to submit a claim for trip interruption, please visit the Allianz Global Assistance secure Claims Portal for faster claims processing.
Regardless of your travel plans, ARTA recommends that all members exercise caution this holiday season and take appropriate measures to protect themselves and their loved ones against the threats posed by COVID-19. This includes getting vaccinated and accessing booster shots for those who are eligible.
Please refer to the ARTA Emergency Travel FAQs for more information.